Video input device is an input device which captures image or video from the real world. Some video input devices are mentioned below.
Digital Camera and Smartphones
Digital Camera is a video input device which captures the image or video of the real world in Digital memory. Digital cameras are sold separately as well as integrated into modern smartphones. Photography professionals and Movie makers use Digital cameras. Diaphragm and shutter control amount of light to produce the image. Once a photo or video is taken, Digital camera have features to store and show images/video on screen as soon as the picture is taken.
Digital Camcorder is a video input device which also captures the image or video of the real world in Digital memory. Digital camcorder and Digital cameras have both image and video capture but difference is in the primary purpose. Primary purpose of a camcorder is recording video with more features like optical zoom.
A scanner is an video input device that scans the image or text and converts it into a digital image or file on the screen. scanned images can then be used to transfer images by email or to upload via internet to website or cloud
- Scanned images have provided a way to digitize and restore images found in ppor quality paper form.
- Scanned images can then be copied multiple times and hence helps to reduce losing images
- Scanners of different types are available in the market - flatbed scanner, sheeted scanner, photo scanner, and handheld scanners.
- Scanner can be connected to the computer via USB cable.
- Scanner can be accessed by the computer via WiFi.
- Scanner is available in the market as part of all-in-one device which include printer, scanner and copier
Webcam is a video input device which captures the video of the real world.
- Webcam is often in-built on laptops.
- External Webcams are also available in the market which can be purchased and fitted on top of the laptop screen.
- External webcams are connected to the computer by using a USB.
- Webcam is a video input device to capture the image or motion video.
- This webcam image or video can be stored on the computer or transferred as a video stream over the internet.
- Main purpose of webcam is making a video call, video conference, taking still pictures or video.
- If you want to share the picture or video taken by webcam with another person, You can send through the internet.
Barcode reader is an input device used to read the Bar code information that can be printed as image on product covers, plastic wrappers and cardboard boxes.
- Barcode consists of some set of black, dark lines and thin lines that defines the information corresponding to the goods being sold in Retail shops or the internet.
- Bar code data contains more information that includes characters and numbers.
- Barcode reader contains a scanner and a decoder.
- Scanner uses the light beam to scan across the barcode, then it detects the reflected light beam and converts them into electrical form.
- Decoder converts those electrical forms into data that is easily read by the computer.
- Different types of barcode readers available such as image scanners, laser scanners, pen wands, slot scanners, and Charge-Couple Devices (CCD).